21 April 2017

Never Say Never

Back a few years when the brand was being introduced in the US, Xerjoff very generously offered any Basenotes member who wanted a try a very hefty sampling of its perfumes. Perhaps I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of fragrances all at once, but really nothing stuck out. I was bored with what I smelled and annoyed with the price tag.

I ended up trading away the samples to a woman who couldn't believe her luck.  Since then I have pretty much ignored the brand, figuring I was not the market they had in mind. A segment of consumers will buy anything that costs a bomb, regardless of interest. Xerjoff has, despite my scorn, apparently thrived.

Last year, while I was on my honey hunt, the name Mamluk repeatedly came up as having a nice honey note to it. I, of course, looked the other way.

I finally ordered a sample come fall from Twisted Lily.  You know? It's not bad. I like that Patty at Perfume Posse co-opted March's fantasy perfume name Candy Ass in her review, although Mamluk is not nearly as skanky as I would like.  JTD at Scent Hurdle has an interesting review which reflects my attitude towards Xerjoff and the perfume.

As far as honey scents go, I probably didn't need it.  It is nowhere near the beauty of Miel de Bois.  Mamluk veers closer to Vilhelm Parfumerie's The Oud Affair. Nevertheless, when Notino offered a bottle for a fairly reasonable price, I snapped it up.


I think, in general, I will continue ignoring Xerjoff releases. I simply can't afford it. I may shell out for the Oud Stars Discovery Set if it ever comes available again, just because I've liked Mamluk as much as I do and I'm intrigued.

No comments: