20 October 2017

L'Haleine des Dieux

Serge Lutens's Section d'Or has been, to say the least, controversial, due, largely, to the pricing. I think a lot of people have dismissed the line because of that, seeing it as some sort of soulless bid for the luxury market.  I have, now, three in the line.

Previously, I got L'Incendiare and Veilleur de Nuit plus a mini of Cannibale.  But when I first tried the line out, the standout to me was L'Haleine des Dieux (50 ml).  It took me up until now to finally get a bottle.  I haven't read many positive reviews of it (there are a few on Fragrantica). It just works very well on my skin.  It is very quiet and close to the skin.

Patty at Perfume Posse never tried this one, skipping it as it listed somewhere a pine note.  She was concerned it would be piney like Fille en Aiguilles or Chypre Rouge, which she didn't like (neither do I).  I really don't get the pine note at all here.  Some have compared it to Ambre Sultan, which I also dislike. I really don't get that either.  It doesn't have the herbal quality of Ambre Sultan.

Barneys lists the notes as amber, clary sage,  cashmeran and musk. Basenotes adds leather, cistus, pine balm, and vanilla, which seems about right.  More resinous-y than piney.



I also picked up a bell jar of Bornéo 1834.  I already have it in the 50 ml sprayer that was available briefly.  I've always wanted a bell jar of it, though.  Along with Muscs Koublaï Khän, I think the scent  really suits that presentation.  For some reason it just makes sense to me.


No comments: